Monday, August 10, 2026

 

Each week we spotlight an album turning 50 this year in 2026.

This Monday it is “Havana Daydreaming” by Jimmy Buffett. 

The song we will play for Magical Monday Musical Matinee is “This Hotel Room.”

It is a cover.

It was originally written and released by Steve Goodman the year prior in 1975.


Goodman is known for writing “City of New Orleans.”

We featured the song three weeks ago as our original and cover. Steve’s version from 1972 followed by Willie Nelson’s 1984 version. Arlo Guthrie had his only top 40 hit with a cover of the song in 1972.

——

Original and Cover 


The Kinks or Def Leppard?

Our Original and Cover feature this week is "Waterloo Sunset.”

It’s originally by The Kinks from the album Something Else released in 1967.

Def Leppard covered it in the 2006 cover album Yeah! 

Which version do you like better ? And can you hear sha la la in background vocals by default Leppard? It’s prevalent in the original. In the cover it sounds instrumental but I’m reading it’s their engineered vocal production and multi layering. 

I keep listening and —-

Let me know what you think.

As for this weeks La La song, it is a doo doo doo song.

It is “Spike” by Tom Petty in 1985 from 

Southern Accents, his sixth studio album.

———-


Random 45 & LP


We are going back to 1982 with Swingin’ from John Anderson. It’s the random 45 pull.

The random LP from the same collection takes us back to January 1960 with “The Village of St. Bernadette” by Andy Williams. 

We will play the title song from the album. 

That song was also released as a single with the B-side  a cover of Hank Williams “I’m so Lonesome I could cry.”

Just last week I pulled the Charley Pride 45 from 1980 with b side I’m so Lonesome I could cry” and A side Honky Tonk Blues.


No comments:

Post a Comment