August 25, 2026: "I'll Oilwells Love You" Dolly Parton remembrance.

A fun Dolly Parton note. She co-wrote  “I’ll Oilwells Love You” several years prior to her 1974 release of "I Will Always Love You.” 


 “I’ll Oilwells Love You” is on Dolly’s “Just Because I'm a Woman” album from 1968.

Of course in 1992 Whitney Houston’s version of “ I Will Always Love You” from  The Bodyguard soundtrack - is the cover most people can bolt out. 

So I’m looking for a more obscure Original and Cover to showcase for Dolly.

In 1974, Tina Turner’s debut solo album included a cover of Dolly Parton’s song "There'll Always Be Music.”

Parton wrote and first recorded it as a duet with Porter Wagoner in 1973. ®

She wrote “I will always love you” as a goodbye to Wagoner as she set out on her solo career.

 In 1967 Hank Williams, Jr. covered Dolly’s  “I'm in No Condition”

And in ‘68 Merle Haggard & The Strangers covered her 

"In the Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad.)”

Then in 74 covered Dollys Kentucky Gambler .

So many to name- let me know your favorite covers. 

Plus I’m sure this Christmas we will hear some Dolly, as she had not only  “Hard Candy Christmas” from 1982 but around 30 more - as well as holiday albums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment